Blogger Templates

Wednesday 9 May 2012

To pump, or not to pump?

Extremely excited to be going on holiday again this year! Turkey in Spetember with my older sister and a friend is certainly needed and I cannot wait until it finally gets here! Sun Sea Sand, what more could I want? Now the only problem being, do I take my insulin pump with me, or leave it at home and have a "week off" (sounds like heaven right about now but thats a different blog!)

Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages of taking it with me and not taking it with me, but seeing as though ive only ever been abroad and injected insulin I think I know which I would rather do, however, lets look at the pro's and con's in my eyes.

Pro's to using the pump when abroad 

Im used to using the pump now, and it is really second nature. I am sure that it would feel completely strange to not be using the pump for a whole week. 

I have much better control on the insulin pump than on injections. My blood sugars are much more e stable and I very rarely have hypo's now. Having hypo's abroad for me are always worse because the sun does funny things to my blood levels!

There would be no hassle in having to sort out correct doses to have with my injections! It would take sometime to make sure that I was taking the right doses which could take time into my holiday to sort out!

Con's to using the pump when abroad     

Having something attached to me whilst im wearing a swim suit or sunbathing isnt something that appeals to me. That may sound shallow and im fully aware of that but I am a young girl and appearance matters.

I would be constantly be worrying about whether my insulin was getting to hot in the pump. This is something that I am normally paranoid about with injections abroad. I can imagine that it would be quite difficult to keep the insulin at the right temperature when the insulin pump will be in the sun at all times.

I dont know how much infomation there is about insulin pumps abroad and if anything went wrong with it whilst i was out there it would freak right out!


I'm still so unsure, and I know that it is a long time away but I need to get sorted long before in order for me to feel okay about it!  Any advice welcome!  

No comments:

Post a Comment