Blogger Templates

Friday 25 November 2011

2 weeks in ...

Cant believe its been two weeks since I got the pump now! Time has flown by and it has been a lot easier than I thought that it would be. Ive done 4 set changes and changed the insulin twice now and everything seemed to go fine. I was really suprised as how much I remembered and how it seemed to be kind of second nature already.

I had a little problem with one set change. As soon as I had inserted it i knew that there was something the matter; the pain was unreal when ever I bent over or pulled the tubing. I left it for a couple of hours to make sure that it wasnt just hurting because I had just inserted it but the pain was unbearable so I took it out and started again. I realised that I had inserted it the first time whilst I was sat down which your not suppose to do. I know for next time.

I had a appointment at the hospital with my DSN. I woke up in the morning with a blood sugar of 22.1; alram bells ringing! Got the clinic and it was higher still. Turns out I had a kink in the tubing that I hadnt realised so no insulin (or very little) was getting in! Changed the set and within an hour my level had dropped to 7.9; i felt terrible for it dropping so fast.

Overall my bloods have been so better than they were before so Im hoping that my HBA1C will be a lot lower when I get it tested in the new year!

2 comments:

  1. Using a pump Laura is all trial and error... you learn as you go along, so you learn from the mistakes you make. What will help you sort out your control is get a blood glucose diary for insulin pumps. The pump company should supply them if you ask. What I do is look at my basal rates, blood glucose levels, carb eaten and make the changes as and when I need to. Not sure what set you are using but medical adhesive remover spray makes removing them from the skin fairly easy so do get some. Basically though.... enjoy pumping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm defiantely beginning to realise that! Trail and error plays a big part in diabetes as whole I think! and i think that is the part that frustrates me the most about it.

    defianley enjoying it so far thought.

    i use sheets to record my blood sugars, i record my blood level and how many carbs im eating and when :)

    ReplyDelete